The Perfect Savoury Sunday Brunch
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 30 minutes
This Breakfast Bolognese is a go-to regardless of whether you’re searching for the perfect savoury Sunday brunch or more of a “eat-whatever’s-left-over-from-the-night-before”.
400-500g Well Hung AngusPure beef mince
2 tbsp olive oil
2 red capsicum
2, finely chopped onions
2-3 cloves, finely chopped garlic cloves
2 heaped tbsp tomato paste
1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes in juice
1/4 cup water
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 dessertspoon balsamic vinegar
A pinch of salt
A pinch of black pepper
4 poached eggs
4 slices sourdough
2 tbsp, chopped parsley
25g parmesan cheese
1. Heat a splash of oil on medium heat and add onion, cooking until it becomes caramelised.
2. Add garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
3. Add mince, dried oregano and dried basil and fry until browned. (If adding mushrooms and courgette or any other veges add toward the end of this stage).
4. Cook until vegetables have softened.
5. Add tomato paste and fry for 1 minute, then add chopped tomatoes and simmer over gentle heat until the sauce has thickened – about 20 minutes.
6. Add balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper according to taste.
7. Create four hollows in the bolognese mixture and drop an egg in each hollow.
8. Keeping pan on a low-medium heat, cover pan with lid until the eggs are cooked through but yolks still runny.
9. It takes longer to poach the eggs in the bolognese mixture than poaching in water so patience is essential.
Serve mince and 1 egg on toasted sourdough bread and garnish with chopped parsley.