- 800g Bird & Barrow free range boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs – cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 leeks – white part sliced thinly (use 1 medium brown onion if leeks not available)
- 1 large carrot – grated
- 3 garlic cloves – finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms (could also use button mushrooms) – halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups good quality chicken stock
- 3/4 cup fresh cream
- 1 rounded teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Filo pastry – you’ll need 6-8 sheets
- Melted butter
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Olive oil for sautéing
Heat a glug of olive oil in a large sauté pan over a medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in the sauté pan (in batches) to brown. Do not cook all the way through. Set aside.
Give the sauté pan a quick wipe before adding another good glug of olive oil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook the leek, carrot and garlic gently, without browning, for 8-10 minutes, until tender. Add the tarragon and mushrooms. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the chicken to the pan and sprinkle with the flour. Toss together for a minute before adding the wine, stock, cream and mustard.
Bring to a boil, before simmering for 15 minutes.
Season to taste with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Place the pie filling in a large bowl and put in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes. This will prevent the filo pastry being steamed when placed over the filling.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Spoon the chicken into an oven-proof dish. Carefully separate the filo pastry sheets. Brush each with melted butter on both sides using a pastry brush and then gather / scrunch up the pastry sheet and place on top of the pie filling. Repeat until you’ve covered the filling.
Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with a salad or steamed green vegetables.