- 750g Quality Mark beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup beef stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- good pinch dried red chilli flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- corn chips
- sour cream
- sprigs fresh coriander leaves
- limes for squeezing
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
Place a large frying pan over low heat. Add a dash of oil and the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds. Transfer to a casserole dish.
Rub the meat with the cumin, allspice and oregano. Increase the heat and add another dash of oil to the pan. Add the beef in batches and brown on both sides, placing in the casserole dish as you go.
Pour the stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar and add the brown sugar to the pan and bring up to the boil. Add the chilli flakes, cinnamon stick and bay leaf and pour into the casserole dish. Cover with the lid, place in the oven and cook for 2 hours.
Remove beef from the oven and add the red kidney beans. Return to the oven and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
Remove and discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Pull pieces of the beef apart using 2 forks. Season.
Serve with corn chips and sour cream and top with sprigs of coriander. Pass the lime wedges.
See tips and tricks for slow cooker recipe.