The Two Fat Cats both agree that you HAVE to serve this salad at room temperature, which is convenient when you’re cooking for friends because you won’t be rushing around at the last minute – especially around this time over Summer when we are at the beach or hanging with friends and family.
You can easily prepare it ahead of time, go for a swim and impress all your friends and Whanau, so to do this, cut up the vegetables and herbs, cover and chill.
Cook the meat about an hour before serving, then combine all the ingredients just before you’re ready to eat.
- 4-6 thick-cut steaks, we always go with Well Hung AngusPure Eye Fillet, but Well Hung AngusPure Scotch or Well Hung AngusPure Sirloin is totally awesome as well (about 150-200g per person)
- a splash of fish sauce (good quality) + an extra 2 Tsp
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste (Well Hung Salt)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers or 1 telegraph cucumber, cut into small batons
- 1 small red onion, halved and finely sliced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 40 mint leaves, torn
- 4 tbsp coriander, chopped
- ⅔ cup of amazing Thai sweet chilli sauce
- Zest of 2 limes
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- (optional) Crispy noodles or angle hair pasta
- Rub the steaks with the fish sauce and season them with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large frypan and cook the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side or until done to your liking. The Two Fat Cats always cook over high heat on the barbecue – much tastier.
- Rest the meat for at least 5 minutes after cooking before angle slicing thinly across the grain. If preparing the meat ahead of time, make the salad in advance and slice the steaks just before serving.
- Place the sliced meat and any cooking juices in a mixing bowl with the prepared cucumber, red onion, spring onions, tomatoes, mint and coriander.
- Mix together the ⅔ cup sweet chilli sauce mixed with the finely grated zest of 2 limes and 2 tsp fish sauce pour over the salad and toss to combine
- You can add in some crispy noodles for crunch or some angle hair pasta for wow factor