- 1.5kg semi-boned lamb shoulder
- 3 tablespoons store-bought sundried tomato pesto
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
Lay out the lamb shoulder, flesh-side up, and spread the sundried tomato pesto over the meat. If using a standard lamb shoulder spread pesto over the top. Season. Using kitchen string, tie the lamb to hold its shape. Place in a non-metallic roasting dish and pour over the vinegar and water. Cover with foil and place in the oven.
Cook the lamb for 3 hours or until meltingly tender. Remove the lamb from the oven and remove foil. Turn the oven to grill.
Skim away fat from the top of the meat juices in the dish. Return the lamb shoulder to the oven and grill for 5 minutes until the meat is well browned.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- finely grated zest and juice
- of 1 lemon
- 2 cups orzo
- 2 small yellow capsicum, deseeded and cut into
- fine strips
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 100g good quality ricotta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, torn
Combine the oil, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl and season.
Cook the orzo in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain in a fine colander. Add to the dressing, mix well and allow to cool. Mix in the capsicum, cucumber, ricotta and mint.
Serve hot lamb with the meat juices, the orzo salad and grilled flatbread.